Wednesday 27 April 2011

It's Never Money


It's a bit like opening a history book taking up floorboards when you're laying new cables. In our last house the most interesting thing I found was the original bakelite light switches, which by the look of them had been prised off the walls with a crowbar.This time around, it's electrical bits again, but slightly more interesting. This box I guess held the original service fuse from when the house was built.
Not sure what this label came from another service fuse? I did a Google search to see if the company that made these still exists. I think it's this one based in Erith in north Kent. One of the best lines I can remember from the late great comedienne Linda Smith was about her home town Erith, "Erith isn't twinned with anywhere but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham"

I also found a couple of these porcelain cable connectors, simply twist the strands together, and screw one of the little devils on, simple. Although I'm sure modern day electricians would wince at these now.



The thread inside is conical, and when tightened is surprisingly difficult to pull off.

No comments:

Post a Comment